Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:30 pm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on Lost Saved Games on Mac [Safari browser deletes saved games]  (Read 16904 times)
gronk007
little rusty robot

« on: August 12, 2011, 12:25:03 am »

I finished Machinarium today...VERY VERY cool game.  I like many people had problems with saved games disappearing sometimes despite my Flash Settings being set to what was recommended from posts of folks having similar problems.  I had to download .sol files to get back to where I was.  Once I completed the game I experimented a little to see if I could repeat the problem.  I was able to repeat the problem on my Mac.

My wife and I are fairly conscious about computer security and potential malicious attacks to collect personal information.  As such, whenever we close down the Safari browser we generally issue the "Reset Safari..." command found under the "Safari" menu item.   In my experiment, EVERY time I reset the Safari browser my Machinarium saved game was deleted.  It didnt matter if Machinarium was running or not.  The file was deleted.  At this point I downloaded the .sol file from a post in this forum, used the Terminal application from the Utilities folder, and copied the downloaded .sol to the directory specified.  That method worked every time I neeeded it...Thanks to the person that posted that detail.

I don't know if this will help any of you but hopefully it will minimize your frustration while enjoying such a great game.  Bottom line...DONT RESET THE SAFARI BROWSER  WHILE YOU ARE PLAYING MACHINARIUM.  Or alternatively copy the .sol file to another location and recopy once you plan to restart the game.  It may seem like a hassel but the game makes it worth it.

I ran the game on a 13" MacBook  (late 2008) series running Lion OS.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:40:39 am by Alex » Logged
wando03070
little rusty robot

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:08:23 pm »

Wow.  There is no excuse for storing saved game files in a volatile place.  I'm just a casual gamer, so it took me a long time to get to where I was in the game.  I was in IT for years and noticed that the PC programmers would always dig doing the graphics and then take shortcuts for the fundamental stuff.  I'm sure the rest of the Amanita games are really cool, but I'll pass.  Sorry for the rant.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: