Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:50 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are my Savegames?  (Read 338950 times)
notec
little robot

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 08:27:22 pm »

• For MAC:
    Code:
    ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/{RANDOMWORD}/localhost/{PathToYourMachinariumInstallDirectory}/machinarium.exe/Machinarium.sol

MacOS doesn't have .exe files. Perhaps you mean machinarium.app
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:31:03 pm by popsUlfr » Logged
popsUlfr
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood boss

Houndeye

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 08:32:17 pm »

Oh my God, how could I not see that? Thank you notec for pointing it out!
That's what happens when you copypasta Tongue
I fixed also the Linux path.
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 09:25:59 pm »

Continuing from my batch post: http://machinarium.net/forum/index.php/topic,463.msg3073.html#msg3073

Here's a maybe safer one, you need to drop it in your machinarium folder (where your machinarium.exe resides) otherwise it will print a message.
Also needs Administrator privilege to write. It does the same as my first one, backups after exit and recovers save on start.

Code:
@echo off
cls
set machindir=%CD%
cd /D "%SYSTEMROOT%"
echo admintest > admintest
if exist admintest goto admin
echo Administrator Privileges not granted.
echo Batch needs to be run as Administrator in order to backup Saves.
echo.
CHOICE /M "Continue anyway"
if errorlevel 2 goto end
if errorlevel 1 goto noadmin
:admin
del admintest
:noadmin
cd /D "%machindir%"
if not exist machinarium.exe goto nomachin
cd /D "%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects"
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /B') do @SET randomword=%%a
set "savepath=%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\%randomword%\localhost\%machindir:~3%\machinarium.exe\Machinarium.sol"
if exist "%savepath%" goto next
cd "%randomword%"
mkdir "localhost\%machindir:~3%\machinarium.exe"
:next
cd /D %machindir%
if not exist Machinarium.sol goto nosol
copy /V /Y Machinarium.sol "%savepath%"
:nosol
machinarium.exe
copy /V /Y "%savepath%" Machinarium.sol
goto end
:nomachin
echo.
echo 'machinarium.exe' has not been found!
pause
:end

EDIT: Same as my 2nd batch it takes you directly to your save directory. This one doesn't use the registry path, so you have to drop it in the same folder as your 'machinarium.exe'. No admin privileges required.

Code:
@echo off
cls
if not exist machinarium.exe goto nomachin
set machindir=%CD%
cd /D "%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects"
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir /B') do @SET randomword=%%a
set "savepath=%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\%randomword%\localhost\%machindir:~3%\machinarium.exe"

start explorer /root,"%savepath%"
goto end
:nomachin
echo 'machinarium.exe' has not been found!
pause
:end

EDIT2:added some lines to the backupscript to be CCleaner and possibly other Private file sweepers safe

EDIT3:updated no registry backup script. Checks if run as Admin.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:30:05 pm by popsUlfr » Logged
thrawn
little rusty robot

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 06:46:17 am »

Woot! Thanks a billion for the batch file(s)  Grin. Time was I used to whip up stuff like that for Jedi Academy all the time. My brain has atrophied  Embarrassed.

One question though - why do you call the latest script 'safer'? It's not like you're writing to the registry in the first one, just reading from it eh?

GG!
popsUlfr
Global Moderator

Houndeye

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:24 am »

Woot! Thanks a billion for the batch file(s)  Grin. Time was I used to whip up stuff like that for Jedi Academy all the time. My brain has atrophied  Embarrassed.

One question though - why do you call the latest script 'safer'? It's not like you're writing to the registry in the first one, just reading from it eh?

GG!

Sorry, I see that is a bit misleading. By 'safer' I mean it will work in any cases because it doesn't take the pathes from the registry which is not that reliable. I mean you could just extract the content to your drive without installing and it will work nonetheless Wink ( As long as you drop it in your game directory)

I've covered the regsitry pathes for the Standard, German version. I don't have the ones for the italian, russian ones. For those the second one is recommended.
Mongo
citizen robot

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 06:44:09 am »

I downloaded Machinarium on October 31 and I really like most things about it. So, I am sorry that my first message here will be about something negative, but I have to say it:  I have never before played a professionally made game that is so likely to lose all game-saves. It's a beautiful game, but the game-save system is ugly.

I tried to take precautions. I set my Flash cache to 10 Mb. I set up the folders to exclude in CCleaner. I told BetterPrivacy to protect the Machinarium files. And for nine days, that seemed to work. Today, I found that all of my saves are gone. All of those hours are lost.

CCleaner still knows it should exclude a folder, but the old "RandomWord" folder under #SharedObjects is gone today. Something decided to delete the old one and replace it with a new, different "RandomWord" folder today. Did BetterPrivacy do that? Flash? No idea...

So, now I'll start over again from the beginning. Looks like I'll need to use a script to make backups of the saved games before and after each session. I hope I will enjoy it enough to work my way back to where I was last night -- that will take several hours. And I can look forward to another 20 or 30 games of gomoku again -- oh goodie!  (Sarcasm...)

It just seems completely insane that I would have to go to such lengths to prevent my saved games from being lost. I have been playing computer games for decades, but I have never seen a saved-game system this fragile. It's really a shame. Please rethink your saved-game system. Seeing a beautiful game like Machinarium crippled by such a bad system is like seeing a beautiful woman with a huge hairy mole on the tip of her nose.
Sandy Trunks
captain robot

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 07:06:03 am »

Seeing a beautiful game like Machinarium crippled by such a bad system is like seeing a beautiful woman with a huge hairy mole on the tip of her nose.

Sexist pig!   Tongue

Mongo
citizen robot

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 08:25:17 am »

If you prefer, substitute the phrase "a really handsome man with a huge bleeding pimple on the tip of his nose." Unless you are a man with a huge bleeding pimple on your nose and you are really sensitive about it, of course, in which case you should substitute "a human or human-like organism of unspecified (if not undetermined) sex with a differently-configured tip of its nose or nose-like facial protuberance, not that there is anything wrong with that."

Or, to avoid any reference to humans and their attributes, here are other similes that might serve:

Like a beautifully cooked beef steak that has a gob of the cook's phlegm on top.  (Could be problematic for vegetarians or vegans, however...)

Like a beautiful BMW with wooden wheels. (Sorry, BMW and/or wooden-wheel enthusiasts...)

Like the Taj Mahal covered in vinyl siding.  Like a sonnet of Shakespeare with every fifth letter removed. Like a Chopin Nocturne played by me. And so on...   Wink

I stand by my original point, though. A game that is so beautifully designed in almost every other detail deserves a game-save system that is at least average or better. I hope that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.
bgthigfist
citizen robot

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 07:11:49 pm »

I stand by my original point, though. A game that is so beautifully designed in almost every other detail deserves a game-save system that is at least average or better. I hope that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

I agree.  This is the first game I ever pre-ordered in my life, and it's the first game I have gotten from an 'independent' developer.  I have never edited my registry or know how to run batch files, and I don't think I should have to learn just to make sure my saved games don't disappear.  Could this be something that's patched?  At least include a 'back up saved games to 'my documents' folder' or some such option.

The game is wonderful by the way.  I was stuck on the 5 in a row puzzle for weeks and gave up to go play more Fallout 3, but came back to it yesterday and got by it.  The game world is so engaging, I'm playing against my weaknesses, but losing my saved games and having to re-do puzzles that are difficult for my brain is irritating.

Mongo
citizen robot

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 06:37:38 am »

{From Reply #17 in this thread...}

Here's a maybe safer one, you need to drop it in your machinarium folder (where your machinarium.exe resides) otherwise it will print a message.
Also needs Administrator privilege to write. It does the same as my first one, backups after exit and recovers save on start.

The script following this line seems to be working reliably for me. Thanks for providing it.

Would it be possible to add equivalent code to the program itself via a patch? I'm not a Flash programmer -- sorry if that is a naive question.
logicalstep
little rusty robot

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 04:30:47 pm »

Hi,

Firstly, great game!

I downloaded it using steam and I have it installed on my laptop and on my home pc, I'd love to be able to swap the save game between them without all this hassle. Is there a script for that? or shall I make an app Wink

Many thanks

Logicalstep
Agent24
little rusty robot

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 01:32:00 am »

Really cool game, It's what I wished all flash games could be: something longer than 5 minutes!

But on the other hand, I think flash is not the best way to make a standalone game like this.

Especially since I was about halfway through and then I lost all my saves by using CCleaner Cry (I had no idea it would wipe them all out)
Gwythion
little rusty robot

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »

This is a really beautiful game. I was thrilled to see another game from the Samorost stable. It's great fun.

However, it's a big disappointment to return to it today and find all the saved slots are empty and I have to start again.

Although I was able to quit and resume yesterday while my Mac 10.4 was still switched on, on startup today it's all gone.

I checked the Flash memory setting as suggested, and it's fine.

Would it be possible to code a little app outside Flash that works with Macs to save the games? (Like the Windows batch file above)
ambulatory
little robot

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 08:27:19 am »

My game saves are gone too, twice now I've lost my progress  Cry
At the moment there are 2 saves left out of 4, these are only early saves.
The last 2 saves, 3 and 4, quite advanced in the game, are gone!  Angry

I am on an iMac 24", OS X 10.5.8 - 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gb Ram

I can't find .sol anywhere.

The game is beautiful but I can't continue playing if my saves are being lost.

If you are going to provide a patch a couple of things are needed:
1. a reliable and safe save location and technique
2. a way of backing up saves to another location, a memory stick for instance

Good luck and work hard!

Meanwhile I am playing Halo, again ...

bgthigfist
citizen robot

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:58 pm »

It would be cool if the game would let you specify the location of your saved games folder, that way I could let Dropbox synchronize my saved games between my laptop and my desktop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: