Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:10 am

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Machinarium now available for Windows 8 & RT  (Read 31142 times)
Priyma
Global Moderator
black cap brotherhood member

Fan from Russia

« on: April 12, 2014, 08:23:56 am »

Machinarium wakes up on Windows 8 and RT - WPCentral:
http://www.wpcentral.com/machinarium-wakes-windows-8

Machinarium – Windows 8 and RT – 222 MB - RUS - Store Link

Machinarium – Windows 8 and RT – 222 MB - EN - Store Link

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:32:43 pm by Priyma » Logged
Eysenor
little rusty robot

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:14 pm »

This is a very good news and I bought the game already on Windows phone and I was wandering if this will be ever published as a common app for windows so that we don't need to buy it 2 times in order to play in both phone and tablet.

Thanks for this port on WP! This game is one of the best of his genre!
Lonicera
citizen robot

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 02:40:53 pm »

Is this version playable using a mouse on a Win 8.1 laptop?  IOW, the necessary cursors will show up now?   I'd be a happy camper if so, loved the game (although didn't realize cursors were supposed to change at times - they didn't using a mouse) until I got stuck in the Arcade Room because the bicycle wouldn't work without the circular cursor.  Couldn't finish the game because of the cursor issue.  Sad
Oddly, the touchpad on my laptop that works the same as a touchscreen on everything else, wouldn't do so for the game!   Huh

I need to know for sure if the game will work correctly using a mouse...  don't want to have to uninstall it again...  & definitely not have to spend hours & hours in MS Customer Support for a refund again.   Anyone?

TIA   Smiley
Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:10:52 pm »

Ever have déjà vu? :p
I thought we answered this, yes? Amanita support said (on May 22nd, 2014) that they "are preparing an update adding the full mouse support including all these features like cursor changes and so on. But it will take a while."
So...no, the necessary cursors won't show up under Windows 8, but Amanita is preparing an update to fix that.
Lonicera
citizen robot

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 03:22:20 am »

Ever have déjà vu? :p

Ever feel like developers don't get it?    Tongue

I thought we answered this, yes? Amanita support said (on May 22nd, 2014) that they "are preparing an update adding the full mouse support including all these features like cursor changes and so on. But it will take a while."

Yes, & "Machinarium – Windows 8 and RT – 222 MB - EN" doesn't specify "touch" only...  just saying 'Windows 8' is causing a lot of Win 8/8.1 users a ton of aggravation & hostility towards Microsoft and many app developers & it's going to get worse!

Microsoft specifically sold Windows 8, then Windows 8.1 as a perfectly usable & superior OS for all computers/devices running Windows 8/8.1.  Many, many people were concerned about whether it would be usable on desktops & laptops that were being used with a mouse & keyboard - most being mouse & keyboard - no touch - only.  Many reviewers including the 'big' mainline Net magazines were asking how could an OS & the proposed apps for that OS do both: run on mouse/keyboard PC systems and touch only tablets & phones?  MS insisted Win 8 could & would do both, no problem...  and promoted it heavily as being a great new OS for keyboard/mouse users....  but seems like MS lied to Windows users and developers didn't do their 'homework' & went with building apps for touch devices only.  ): 

Just one example of a very similar & telling example:  Disney's/Lucas's "Star Wars Assault Team" Win 8.1 gaming app - it's been deliberately designed, no doubt according to MS orders, to only run correctly on the latest models of WinPhones & tablets...  oh, it'll install & run on mouse/keyboard PC's as well as the less than latest WinPhones & tablets for a while, then those users hit a similar 'wall' in the game - you can't finish it, win on those systems, nor compete against iOS & Android players who are getting the updates Windows is not providing to Win8 users &....  surprise!...  Disney's & now MS spec's for the S.W.A.T. game now specify touch only & min 1 gig Win phones - none of which was specified on that game's spec's when MS originally put it in their app store nor on Disney's site's original Win8 spec's.  Just as MS has only recently reworded the spec's for Machinarium as being slightly more honest as to its being 'touch'...  however, they still use the misleading "point & click" description also.  "Point & click" has always meant mouse usable...  it's not possible to point & click on a touch device!

So...  please don't insult a long time computer user...  your time, if you wish to explain how things work, would be better spent explaining the ramifications of going with touch only apps to the developers because thousands are very unhappy with or simply cannot use (disabled, seniors, etc.) touch only devices...  and the numbers are growing, not lessening, despite Microsoft's, Apple's & major "smart" phone & teeny tablet manufacturers underhanded machinations.  ): 

So...no, the necessary cursors won't show up under Windows 8, but Amanita is preparing an update to fix that.

Again...  the update needs to be for mouse/keyboard Windows 8 OS's...  not just "Windows 8"...  MS obviously now regards Windows 8 as solely a touch only OS, in fact that obviously was their intent all along.  They, & developers who go along with that, are going to lose...  lots of people already getting their hard drives wiped clean & changing to friendlier, far less money grubbing, much less invasive OS's.  Many also going back to the torrent sites for their software & apps...

ITMT, I'll find a different, friendlier, usable game...

Lamkin
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 05:44:53 am »

[T]he update needs to be for mouse/keyboard Windows 8 OS's...  not just "Windows 8"...

I took Amanita's answer to mean that the update *will* be for mouse/keyboard Windows 8 operating systems. But I can't speak for Amanita, of course….I am just a fan. However, I will ask for clarification.

Edit: Yes, the update will be for mouse/keyboard Windows 8.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:10:53 am by Lamkin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: